Wardell Station welcomes you

Wardell Station welcomes you
Wardell Station late 1950s

Tuesday 20 February 2018

Arts and Crafts

In high school, we had a subject in Year 7, Art and Craft it was never that interesting until the last semester were were able to do model making. At the time I was into military WWII model making in 1/72 scale and built a Matchbox Wellington bomber flying over an airfield.  Whilst I have ditched the military modelling, I continue to enjoy is railway modelling .

One of the interesting aspects of railway modelling is researching the topic and  its history. I wanted to model an Australian residential building that was part of the Sydney landscape that included a bay window. 

Search
I had been searching for ho buildings with bay windows but only found the IHC Homes of Yesterday and Today series to be the only one that may still be available. These kits are based on the Painted Ladies Cottages in San Francisco with the clapperboard look and narrow width. I did not find these kits available easily. 
Above:  IHC ho house kit 

And Find
Two years ago at the Epping Model Railway show in Sydney in the secondhand stand, I had found one of these buildings built up.  Since then it has been lying on my shelf until recently. 
I wanted to add an apartment on my layout that would be able to feature the front of this kit. 
Above: Start of the cut up the sides, rear and roof were scrapped.
A discussion with a friend as well as reference books being lent provided me with ideas for the building. 
I stumbled upon the architectural style Federation Arts and Crafts Federation Arts and Crafts
By cutting up the front and extending it's width made it a more grandeur building. I also added a high pitched roof and a circular window feature.


Above: Building prior to painting, Roof tiles are made from Noch self adhesive rubberised tiless that I purchased years ago whilst I was living in Switzerland.

Apartment  - Federation Arts and Crafts style
Below is the completed Apartment next to the Art Deco apartment. Both which are on Trafalgar St Wardell.



1 comment :